Meet a CERA
Sim Segal is president and founder of SimErgy Consulting, a limited liability company specializing in enterprise risk management (ERM). SimErgy, headquartered in Manhattan, provides ERM consulting services to companies in all sectors, primarily in North America. SimErgy also conducts executive education seminars on ERM.
With 25 years of experience in measuring and managing risk, Sim is a globally-recognized ERM thought leader with broad functional experience, deep technical knowledge and ERM experience in a variety of sectors and geographies. His experience includes the following sectors: insurance, retail banking, credit cards, manufacturing, energy, entertainment, national intelligence, technology and telecommunications. Highlights of Sim's ERM qualifications include:
- Recognized as a pioneer for developing the value-based ERM approach – an advanced yet practical approach enabling quantification of all risks – financial, operational and strategic
- Currently authoring an ERM book that will be published by Wiley in March 2011
- Adjunct Professor at Columbia Business School teaching ERM MBA course, Summer 2010
- One of 40 ERM experts globally awarded CERA credential based on "thought leadership and significant contributions to advance the practice of ERM"
- Helped several companies fully implement ERM programs, including determining risk appetite and integrating ERM into strategic planning process
- Frequent invited speaker, author of articles and often quoted by industry media
- MASH Networks Risk Television video on risk identification ranked #1 video of 2009
- Chair of Risk Committee of Society of Actuaries (SOA), leading ERM program for SOA itself, 2009 – Present
- Editor, Risk Management (quarterly international ERM publication), 2008 – 2009
- Member, SOA faculty for ERM credentialing seminar (CERA EPP), 2008 - 2009
- Member, Syllabus Committee for SOA ERM exam (AFE/ERM), 2008
- Member, ERM Symposium Program Committee, 2007 – Present
- Member, International ERM Credential Working Group, 2008
- Helped MetLife become the first U.S. insurer to successfully implement economic capital
Sim has also been actively involved in other industry leadership roles; highlights include:
- Vice president of Society of Actuaries (SOA) Board of Directors (elected position) (current service)
- Member of SOA Issues Advisory Council (IAC) (current service)
- President of Actuarial Society of Greater New York (ASNY) (elected position) (prior service)
- Chair of SOA Management & Personal Development Section (elected position) (prior service)
- Vice chair of SOA Leadership Development Committee (prior service)
- A Lead Actuary in Actuarial Foundation's Advancing Student Achievement program (prior service)
Prior to SimErgy, Sim led ERM consulting practices at Deloitte Consulting, Aon and Towers Watson. Prior to his consulting experience, Sim was an officer at MetLife, where he was a key player in the first successful adoption of economic capital by a U.S. insurer, assisting in its integration into key company processes, including strategic planning, capital planning and pricing. Sim also led MetLife's IPO eligibility team.
Sim graduated summa cum laude from Wayne State University, with a B.A. in mathematics. He is a Fellow of Society of Actuaries (FSA), a Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst (CERA) and a member of American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA). CERA is a professional credential in ERM recently launched by the SOA.
Strong Professional Network
The SOA is an educational, research and professional organization dedicated to serving the public and its 23,000+ members.